Sant Joan’s Castle
The castle is situated at the top of the hill which separates the beaches of Lloret de Mar and Fenals and dates back to the beginning of the 11th century, possibly from the age of Lady Sicardis and her sons, the Lords of Lloret (1041-1110), when it controlled the feudal territory of Lloret.
The origins of the Castle of Sant Joan are the origins of the town of Lloret.
The war that England fought against Spain and France and which ended with the Battle of Trafalgar also had a disastrous effect on the tower of Sant Joan Castle. In 1805, the British Navy bobarded the tower, which definitively destroyed the fortified site. The castle remained in disuse during the 19th century and was reduced to a pile of rubble.
It was damaged by the Genovese fleet in 1356 and possibly again in the earthquakes of 1427 - 1428, but was rebuilt on each occasion. Extensive rebuilding work was carried out between the 15th and 16th centuries, giving it the appearance it has today, with two wings of rooms to the north and east, connecting to the exterior wall and opening onto an interior courtyard.
Up until the end of the 17th century the castle was still fully operational, as proven by the archaeological finds discovered on the site. During these times the castle was used mainly as a lookout tower to prevent any possible attacks from the sea. In 1805, during England's war on Spain and France, a British warship shot several cannons at the castle which seriously damaged part of the tower and the exterior wall. Finally, two violent storms, one in 1840 and the other in 1923, completely demolished parts of the wall and the old castle tower.
The castle's protection as a Building of Cultural Interest according to the decree passed on 22 April 1949 saved it from being demolished in the Sixties after it had been partly damaged by housing development work being carried out at the time. Following initial archaeological excavations
during the years 1965-1968 and in 1983, in 1992 restoration of the keep was complete, offering an extraordinary view of the surrounding area. Finally, in 2000-2001 excavation work was completed and the castle was converted into a heritage site in order to improve knowledge of our medieval history and make it accessible for cultural visits, guaranteeing its protection by means of new signposting for the monument which uses different types of signs including all types of information regarding the history of the castle and the town of Lloret de Mar in general.
Tel: +34 972 365 788
Fax: +34 972 367 750
From October to May:
Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays from 10 am to 2 pm
From June to September:
Monday to Sunday: 10 am to 1 pm and 5 pm to 7 pm
Closed on 25th and 26th December and 1st and 6th January.
Reduced: 1.5 € (pensioners, youth card holders, student card holders, family card, disabled persons)