Les Alegries Shrine

Ermita de Les Alegries a Lloret de Mar, Costa Brava

It was the first parish church of the town of Lloret. It stands 2.5km from the centre and it was the parish church from when it was consecrated in 1079 to 1522. It has a Romanesque bell tower and frescoes by Calandria. In Lloret, the tradition was that the sea used to cover the entire plain, as far as a place called Les Alegries. 

The land for building the church and the corresponding cemetery – about thirty paces all round – giving the name La Sagrera to the surrounding district, was donated by Sicarda, lady of the Castle and town of Lloret and widow of the nobleman Humbert de Ses Agudes.

History

It was the first parish church of the town of Lloret. It stands 2.5km from the centre and it was the parish church from when it was consecrated in 1079 to 1522. It has a Romanesque bell tower and frescoes by Calandria. In Lloret, the tradition was that the sea used to cover the entire plain, as far as a place called Les Alegries.

The land for building the church and the corresponding cemetery – about thirty paces all round – giving the name La Sagrera to the surrounding district, was donated by Sicarda, lady of the Castle and town of Lloret and widow of the nobleman Humbert de Ses Agudes. The consecration of the church by the Bishop Berenguer Vifred on 8 January 1079 was attended by
Lady Sicarda and her children, one of whom, Bernat Humbert, would be the next bishop of the diocese (1093-1111). He died on an expedition to Palestine. It is recorded that the hermitage was also formerly known by the name of Nostra Senyora de Palos or Palou. This could be the result of a misreading of Ntra. Sra. de l'Alou, referring to the free land (alod) given by Lady Sicarda. 

When the new parish church of Sant Romà was built by the sea, the ancient rural church became known as the "old church" or the "old virgin". It later became the hermitage of the Mare de Déu de les Alegries. The hermitage has characteristics of Romanesque construction, although the modern reforms carried out after the Civil War disfigure it, particularly the bell tower, which had an arcaded storey added and was finished with faux-Lombard cement arches and a rather unsuitable roof of varnished, coloured tiles. The principal image is a dressed, jointed virgin, of no artistic value.

Contact information

Paratge de Les Alegries ( 17310)

Lloret de Mar

Book now

Where to sleep

Hotel availability

How to get here

By road By train By plane By boat

Lloret on your mobile

qr lloret de marScan this QR code
and you’ll have all the information on hand.

Upcoming Events

15
Jan

11
Jun

24
Apr

28
Apr

25
Apr

- 08:00h

25
Apr

12
May

Biblioteca Municipal - 17:00h

26
Apr

Lloret de Mar - 10:00h