Chapel of Sant Quirze
This chapel is situated 200 metres from the cemetery and 1 kilometre from the town centre. It dates back to earlier than the 11th century but does not have a uniform style. It houses engravings by Adrià Gual. Fragments of Roman ceramics have been found in the vicinity of the chapel, along with a coin of the Emperor Constantine and several tombs.
It is the oldest chapel in Lloret, so old that some believe that it dates back to the victory of a Roman and Christian general named Quirze.
Others believe that the little church was built in the time of Charlemagne, with the protection of the Three Kings of the Christmas story. In the 9th century it is said to have been demolished by the Arabs and then rebuilt in the 10th century by a rich, Christian landowner called Quirze. Nothing specific is known of the origin of the hermitage, only that it was already in existence in 1079, as the act of consecration of the former parish church of Sant Romà, signed the same year mentions "Et sic vadit per Ecclesiam Sti. Chirici" when referring to its surroundings. It is possible that before the consecration Sant Quirze served as a parish church for Lloret.
It has been written that, for a time, gatherings were held at the hermitage on the saint's feast day, 16 June. The finds made around this hermitage could prove the existence of an early Christian church with an attached necropolis. The Genoese set fire to it in the 14th century. Observing the current construction, it seems possible to deduce that the hermitage has two differentiated parts, at least in terms of its floor plan: that corresponding to the old medieval hermitage, which today occupies the two sacristies and the space of the main altar, and that which today serves as a nave for worshippers, which is also at a lower level. The latter would correspond to an 18th-century extension to the first part, uncovering the old entrance, now filled in, on the southern façade (actually the SW) with a door with a radiating arch, and a window on each side, one in its original place – also filled in – and another, perhaps added later, at a higher level.
On the lower part of this façade, and also in the others of this old part, the walls of which are often made up of materials of Roman origin, clay was still being used as a material for joining the stones. The early medieval hermitage would have been 10 metres long by 4.5 wide. The 18th-century extension turned the floor plan of the sanctuary into a kind of square, with each side measuring about 10.5 metres. The hermitage of Sant Quirze is, therefore, the oldest in Lloret. In fact, it was already mentioned on 8 January 1079 when the church of Sant Romà (today the hermitage of Les Alegries) was consecrated: "A meridiei parte similiter terminatur in parrochiae Sti. Ioannis in valle marina et sic vadit per ecclessiam Sti. Chirici".
Lloret de Mar